Thursday, June 28, 2012

Almost Vegan Cupcakes

Every Wednesday Ryan and I get together with three other couples. In the Spring we did a marriage study, but this summer we're just hanging out. One of the couples just recently became vegans and I wanted to make something that they could eat. I (naturally) started searching pinterest for some ideas. I found a great recipe using yellow cake mix and applesauce and was sold. I figured there were no eggs so it was vegan, right? Wrong.  Apparently there is milk product in cake mix. What the heck!? Unfortunately I found this out after the cupcakes were already out of the oven. Milk is the last ingredient on the cake mix. Anyways, here's the recipe for the almost vegan cupcakes I made. 

Yellow cake mix, applesauce, and frosting for the top!

I put the frosting in a ziplock, closed the bag and tied a rubber band around. Then, I snipped a hole at the point to make the frosting look purdy.
 
 Recipe:
Ingredients:
 I 18.25 oz package of Yellow Cake Mix 
1 cup of applesauce (I used original flavor, but you can try cinnamon or unsweetened)
1 cup of water

 Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cake mix and the applesauce. Whisk thoroughly and line a cupcake pan with liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes, checking the texture of the cupcakes. 

MAKES 12 SERVINGS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vegan  or not, they were delicious! Do yourself a favor and make them! They are only a little over 170 calories each, too! Our vegan friends ended up bringing a non-vegan treat to share. Oh how accommodating we are! The cupcakes were fluffy and if I didn't tell you there was applesauce in them you would have never known!

No comments:

Post a Comment