Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Greatest Challenge


Marriage requires a radical commitment to love our spouses as they are, while longing for them to become what they are not yet. Every marriage moves either toward enhancing one another's glory or toward degrading each other.
-Dan Allender and Temper Longman III

If you treat a man as he is, he will stay as he is. But if you treat him as if he were what he ought to be and could be, he will become the bigger and better man.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Marriage is such a gift. Sometimes you like it, and sometimes you pretend that you do. Sometimes you don't know what to do with it and sometimes it is the most wonderful thing you could have ever imagined, and you feel completely in awe with gratitude of how wonderful that person who gave you that gift. Today... I feel irritable. I wish I could say that I am completely infatuated with my husband, but sometimes I wake up in a bad mood and seem to think of every possible wrong thing he did that morning instead of dwelling in the good things he continually does.

I just started re-reading (I think I read it at least) Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas and it is humbling. At the core of me, there is no good. I am utterly selfish, prideful, and arrogant. I think I know the best way to do things and that my husband is "wrong" for the way he does things. We've been married for over a year now so you'd think I'd understand by no, but no, I don't.

My prayer today is that the Lord cleanses my thoughts and increases my love for Him so that I can love Ryan better.

I want Ryan to see the beauty in the gift and not the lets pretend that I like this today aspect of it.

Never giving up,
Tera

No comments:

Post a Comment